Baby girl turns 16 tomorrow. Which means she kind of really for sure isn’t a baby anymore. Party in the works…a dinner party for 11 friends (boys and girls) and she’s cooking. Steve and I are doing the clean up, no sweat (we can still eavesdrop from the kitchen). Look for pix and stories next week. In the meantime, we’re sliding into Friday…finally.
1. Alex flew into the world 5 weeks early, at 4.5 pounds. She was early, but ready. She still is. Every morning. Cute too, with her hats and jackets and boots, and her Snow White travel mug of Chai Tea (Snow White is her princess, because every girl has a princess, plus no one will take it by accident), out the door at 7:15, no complaints. Love that.
2. She loves weightlifting, baking chocolate chip cookies, the Beatles, her church youth group, and family history. And Italy, and bike racing, and Irish accents. And scuba diving, and backpacking. And vinyl records, especially The White Album. And her dog, Toby. And her friends, and her cousins. And cheese, but not necessarily chocolate. And Yoplait Yogurt Whips, especially vanilla. And baseball with her dad. Oh, and old trucks. Really old, with rust even.
3. She dreams about what significant thing she can do to help the poor. She has a list. It’s getting longer every day.
4. She loves scary books and movies, but only if they have a happy ending. Her idea of a happy ending would include an Irishman and an old truck. Except the truck is hers, not his.
5. She’s shown us grace, strength, determination, and grit in her pitching. We call her the Ice Princess. She’s kind of mean out there. She packs a lot of power into that 5′ frame. And what she lacks in height, she makes up with skill and location. She’s been playing softball since she was 7, and I have never actually heard her say she loves it, which confuses me. But she works really hard at it, and shows up, and does her job. And that’s something to be proud of. I am, of her, that is.
5a. She’s also really funny. She can remember any joke and quote entire scripts from Friends, The Office, The Blues Brothers and Blazing Saddles. Oh, and Modern Family. And any song. She thinks it would sound better in an old truck though. Preferably blue, but any color will do.
5b. She’ll still hold my hand. And cuddle with me when we watch Project Runway.
5c. She’s turning into something spectacular. You just watch.
Happy Birthday Allie Rose. Love you.